Why You Matter

About 5 months ago I was sitting in an interpersonal communications class. As I was sitting in my mind I was writing a to-do list of everything I needed to get done, mapping out my route for the upcoming run, tracking what I needed to eat throughout the day to get in my calories, and I may or may not have even thought about a cute boy. So yes, you could say that my mind was very focused on the lecture. When going to school, work, church, or whatever it may be that you do, it is possible to 'do it'...meaning physically you are there, but mentally you are not. In my head every single thing I thought about was about myself. Yes, I thought of people that I knew and people that I wanted to get to know better (i.e that cute boy...yes?) but when thinking of other people it all boiled down to me. I wanted everything done my way and the reasoning behind all of my thoughts was selfish. Not a single thought came from me wanting to help people or even the idea or concept that not everyone has a perfect life.

One day, in that same class, the professor sat down and decided to show us a video. No this professor was not the typical professor. Everyday when we would leave his class he would tell us that we were amazing, and because of that we needed to help someone. Frequently we would write goals of ways that we individually could help someone that we would see that day. It was thought provoking. Through this class I learned one thing...you matter because you can help others. Each of us have talents that are very specific to us. Because of those talents we can help.
My cute siblings who have taught me why people matter

The problem with help and looking outside of yourself is that it is not instinctive or a sub-conscious action, rather it is something that needs the conscious or active thought. Just like anything though, you can train to your mind to think differently. It takes effort that is hard. I decided to experiment with this. I ride mass transit everyday. When I get on it I immediately go to the same seat, pop in my earbuds, and ride it out. One day I stopped and it occurred to me that I was just as blind to the people in the very same bus as me as I was to somebody across the country. I decided that I was not going to do the usual and rather look around me. I realized that a mother was having a hard time getting her child to cooperate and the mother looked frustrated. I went over and asked what I could do to help her, it was a very minor thing for me, but she did not act like it was to her. Small things make the biggest differences.
You will find yourself happy happy to just be in any situation


Yes, you matter. You are great and going places. I would just ask to do something more than what is expected and reach out more than what you normally would or even felt like you could. This will help your physical health, emotional, and mental to accomplish the goal of wellness. There is a frequent quote that says "when you are helping you are happy" and this is found to be true. Go out and look at what you can do for others.

Comments

Popular Posts