The Man on the Bus

I ride mass transit everyday. There are some huge positives to it (i.e it is cheap, good for the environment, and the idea of being urban is very much appealing), but there are some serious negatives involved (you and every crazy person rides it, LOOONG hours spent on the bus/train, cranky bus drivers, fearing for your life, and the list could go on). When I began riding the bus at the beginning of the school year I would get stir crazy every single time I would get on the bus. It was long and painful and then something happened. Not just one thing though, rather several events happened that made me realize the goodness of humanity.

Utah had been experiencing a VERY warm winter where it had only snowed once. It was heavenly, until one day I awoke to a winter wonderland. I bundled up and walked to the bus stop, sliding, and humming on the way. It felt magical, but cold. As I got on the bus the weather went into full blizzard mode. We were driving down a busy, well trafficked street when I saw a guy looking cold. He had a t-shirt and jeans on that had holes. My sweet bus driver pulled over and exclaimed to the guy to get on the bus. The guy was so appreciative of this gesture. My bus driver asked him where he was going and took him the closest that he could get, and then dropped him off. It wasn't a huge thing for the driver to do, but for this guy it made his day that much easier.
For context: this is me waiting for the bus that very morning 


I have thought about what it means to get on the bus. What am I doing to get on the bus of helping others? Everyday I ride the bus and sometimes there are cranky bus drivers who belittle the riders or that make me feel like I am going to die, but for every time that this happens another persons day is made. For example, today alone on the way home my bus driver made a complimentary stop so the person would not have to walk as far. Again, not a big deal, but a big deal.

In my favorite class my professor would always exclaim that unless we were constantly challenging our mindset to look for ways to help other people we would stay the same. I remember after hearing him tell our class that for what felt like the hundredth time I wanted to apply it, so I did. I was sitting on the bus (yet again) when I saw this cute young mom come on the bus with two children. The kids were crying, groceries were in-haul, and the mom looked like she could use a nap. All of the sudden I realized that I could do something! I asked if she needed help carrying her groceries or if she need assistance with her children. She looked relieved and grateful. It was one of those moments that made me realize that you can't expect society to be good to you if you are not going to be good to society. The universe is aware of you and what comes around, goes around. So make it good. 

I have also learned that there can be joy in the moments of the long awaited bus arrival.


My biggest thing that I can say is to go and have your bus moment wherever it may be!                          

Comments

Popular Posts