How to stay active in the winter

The cold winter months are approaching quickly. It is really easy to want to go into hibernation, but not this winter! Winter, if done correctly, it can be so much fun with new things to stay active, even if you are not a winter lover. 

Since I was really young I have always had a strong dislike for anything cold, to me it was miserable. From that stage though, I have now learned that there are many things that can be done in the winter that are honestly so much fun. Winter does not have to be a dark and dreary time where nothing happens. Take initiative and do something that is fun and exciting for you.  Here are some of my favorite things to do in the winter! 

One of my favorite things is hiking in the snow. It is hard to get outside, but once you are outside you will love it. With the motion it gets your body warm, just like magic. Make sure and wear really warm socks and then what I like to wear is normal trail runners and then attach ice spikes. Only if it is really fresh powder do I ever feel like I need snowshoes. I personally love ice spikes because it is easier to run in them and not so heavy. I do not enjoy feeling like I am being clunky, snow pikes avoid that.

Another really fun thing to do during those cold months is skiing and snowboarding. Whether you are a fan of going fast down the mountain or not I would just say to try it. It can be so much fun. If you like something slower cross country skiing is so much fun as well. Cross country skiing is really nice because it is a full body workout that makes you sweat so much. You will feel it for a couple of days after your session because your muscles will be sore. It is amazing to just be out in nature and experience the magic of the snow. 
 
Indoor activities are available year around but some of my favorite in the winter is indoor rock climbing, biking, and yoga. Rock climbing is really hard to do in the snow and I would not suggest it due to the slickness, but indoor is the perfect way to keep those forearms strong as well as just having fun in the climbing environment. It is honestly one of the best, most rewarding things to do. I am a fan for sure. 

I would also suggest finding ways to challenge yourself every day. In the winter especially, it is easy to want to go into hibernation and just sit around the fireplace. I am not saying to not do that, do that! But do not do that every day. Rather than just sitting move your body! Do something that you like and makes you feel good. I am a huge advocate that everyone has something that they love to do that makes their body move. Find what that is for you in the winter and do it, and do it consistently. 



Comments

Popular Posts